Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day

How many of us know the reason we celebrate Labor Day? I am sorry to report that none of my children did, until this week. Ok, I didnt know either. The short version is that Pullman rail cars went on strike. In support many other unionized rail workers did also. The government said stop and they didn't. Troops were sent in and a fight took place leaving some dead. (I think 12 or 13) To make peace with the unions a holiday was declared in remembrance. That's the short story. You can google the rest.

So for Labor Day I cook. Yesterday brought 36 hungry people to our home. That was a lot of cooking especially since I had 6 confirmed and 30 maybes. I knew most of the maybes would show, they usually do. I cook enough for all. 14 pounds of chicken, 32 hotdogs and 36 hamburgers. Many side dishes and peach and blueberry cobbler. Not much left since we ate at 1pm and people were still there at dinner time, refilling plates. It was my favorite kind of gathering. I missed mom and dad though, and D#1.

So, home for the weekend but on the road again this week. I will be in the country music Capitol and then possibly Lynchburg. Time permitting.

Nashville is the city that ruined the bed and breakfast experience for me. Having stayed at a hotel chain and waking to find crime scene tape around the lobby, I decided to find another place to rest. I found what I thought was a perfect solution. A restored historic home run by a chef who made fabulous breakfasts. At the end of my third week there I discovered the owner had a view of my room that I would not have approved. I did a little research afterward and, had I done it first, I would never have stayed there.

Now I am back to the hotel chains. I usually stay in the Hilton Suites and we have a good corporate rate. It is clean and has a great breakfast, included if you are a gold member or higher.

Tip: when staying at a B&B, check it out thoroughly! Don't get caught with your pants...well you know the rest.

6 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i wish i was there too, sounds like a great day. and that b&b experience would creep me out to infinity... yikes!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

how creepy for the b&b!

i wish i had been there with you. but i did have a good dinner with d&e, glad to have good friends. :]

love you.

Sarge Charlie said...

wow, 36 huh, you are such an over achiever :)

Traveling Bells said...

We only had 19 here at our house, but I would have enjoyed being at your house with all that food and chaos. That's what life is about with friends and family:).

Creepy B&B? No.Thank.You! Srsly...

Cinderella said...

36 people - WT that is so nice of you to cook for all of them, it sounded GOOD! Makes me want a hot dog with all the fixings for breakfast:)

Yes, you really have to do your research first.
Here's another perfect example of this

http://cinderella11pm.com/2011/09/hamanassett-bed-and-breakfast-inn/

After that, I made sure I never would stay at a B&B anywhere with anything less than an AAA 4 diamond rating!

Sandee said...

How fun. I love big get-togethers where everyone is having a great time and there's lots of food. You know like cruising on a big, beautiful cruise ship.

I will never stay in a B&B. I don't care for that kind of closeness. I don't want a communal breakfast or dinner. It's just not my style. Give be a big beautiful hotel and I'm a happy camper.

Have a terrific day. Big hug. ;)