Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Making Travel an Experience

I am on my 8th year of traveling extensively for business. I love to travel for pleasure but after 8 years, business travel can get a little old. Us weary business travelers joke that, to the occasional business traveler, our lifestyles sound glamorous; gallivanting all over the country, seeing the world, meeting interesting people.

Admittedly there are moments where I am amazed at the experience. Those moments can be pretty far apart though. Dinners alone, hotel rooms that smell funny, delayed flights; all part of a typical day.

I made a resolution that I would experience more than a rental car and hotel room in the cities I visit. I have decided that I would research and visit interesting shops, restaurants, shows and other local sites and events.

Places I have loved: The Art Institute of Chicago, National Mall and Memorial Parks, Skagit Tulip Festival, Amicalola Falls, and Mark of the Potter. To think I might not have seen these places without making a decision to do so. What I would have missed! I still would love to take in the occasional play. If ever you are in Young Harris, GA, the college there frequently has free performances.

And then there are the local places that you are told you absolutely MUST see but really are not what you expect like Unclaimed Baggage. (I think once is enough for this store.)

So my tip for this post: Get out of the hotel a little and see what the area has to offer.

4 comments:

ladaisi said...

What a great premise for a blog! Have we met? May I ask what type of business you are in?

Cinderella11pm said...

I loved The San Diego Zoo in CA, The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY City, and The Air & Space Museum in Washington D.C.

Am going to the Art Institue of Chicago this fall. Hear it is wonderful.

Really helps to break up an otherwsie boring business trip with some interesting things to see along the way:)

Travel Safe!

Sandee said...

I just want to be on a cruise ship. Going anywhere. Just saying.

Have a terrific day. :)

Zane D. Clark said...

what Darlin said. and I grew some wheat!.. went to the store and bought some wheat berries to see what would happen if i planted them. they grew more wheat!
z