Thursday, August 4, 2011

Journey or Destination?

When you look back on family vacations do you remember the destination or the journey?  Did that shape the way you view your vacation planning now? 

I am very much a journey person.  I love the "moments" and, as much as I like a good destination, if the company is great, we can be anywhere or nowhere.  Having said that, I do like to have a destination in mind.  On our upcoming road trip we have destinations all along the way but I don't care if we miss one or all of them.  I have routed and re-routed the trip so we have the most time in the cool spots but everything is flexible.  We decided not to book hotels in advance so we can go as we please.  I will bring my trusty 3G iPad (thanks Mom) to find a room when we are ready. 

That brings up another point.  I think iPads, navigators, iPhones and all other technology has transformed our travel.  Can today's kids even read a map?  I remember hearing in school (before calculators were generally available) that one day kids would not be able to add because they always use calculators.  Well that sure is true if you ever watch a cashier make change.  Seems like map reading is going the same direction (pun intended). 

Tip for today:  Enjoy the ride. 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"
--Unknown


What is your favorite destination?  Are you a journey or destination person?

2 comments:

Sandee said...

Now you're talking. That's the way I like to travel. Excellent.

Have a terrific day. Hugs. :)

Cinderella said...

Do you remember Thomas Guides? I am so grateful for the navigation system in my car! And to have a laptop to write everyhting doen on and download pictures before I forget:0